Re: uqm-content licensing problem

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 23:15:31 -0400,
  Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> While doing the license tag cleanup, I came across uqm-content, which
> was marked "Distributable", but when I dug into it, the actual license
> is Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike.
>
> http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/The_Ur-Quan_Masters_Project_FAQ#Under_what_license_is_the_game_released.3F
>
> The NonCommercial part is the problem.
>
> Unless someone here has documentation showing that the UQM upstream has
> given us permission to distribute these content files under a different
> (acceptable to Fedora) license, I'm going to have to block this package
> in F10.

I looked around and it seems the original authors don't want the game data used
commercially. I didn't find anything indicating their stance had changed
recently.

> Since the game itself is fine, it looks like we'll need to set it up to
> autodownload the content (and quickly).

It should also get pulled from the live games cd as there is little point in
having it there if you need to make a large download to play it.