Re: Crrcsim's data files' location

> Hello
>
> I am a new package contributor to Fedora, and I currently only have my
> first package, milkytracker, in Fedora. I am now looking forward to
> package another program that I use and that is not available in
> Fedora.
>
> According to the Fedora Games Packaging guidelines, the data files of
> Crrcsim should end up in /usr/share/crrcsim, not in
> /usr/share/games/crrcsim. While I agree with the guideline, Crrcsim's
> configure script doesn't (yet) support this and it always wants to put
> files under the games directory.
>
> Would someone have any pointers on solving the situation?
>
> The one solution I have thought of is to manually mv the data
> directory into the right place after make install. After this, I would
> need to create a wrapper script that would cd to the data directory
> (Crrcsim searches the current directory, in addition to some
> presumably hard-coded paths) and then run the actual binary
> executable. In this case, should I put the binary into /usr/libexec?

Without actually having looked at it, I'd say that the above would work,
and I have a few packages that do this, but it's preferable to patch the
app to use the correct locations.  You may be able to patch configure.in.
If not, try grepping the source for the data dir, and make a set of
patches to get it to look in the right spot, and do the above move.

There are several on this list with the skills to help with specifics if
needed.

> For future releases, it would probably be wise to work with the
> upstream developers to make the simulator easier installable in
> various directory configurations.

+1Brillion

> --
> Joonas Sarajärvi