Re: Building a database of free gamecontent?

Dnia 16-08-2006, śro o godzinie 15:29 +0200, Hans de Goede napisał(a):
> Thus it might be worth to build a database with a list of free licensed
> music for use in games, so that we can add music to games which lack it.
Wart already provided links with resources you're talking about, but I
have a question: why do WE have to hand-pick music, textures and so on
for games instead of their authors? Is it even ethical to f.e. use Metal
Blob Solid's music for Abuse? I mean, the authors had something on their
minds when choosing track A for level B in a platform game, so even if
we have some public domain art, it really should be left up to the
authors to decide which one is okay.

In case of the Abuse engine, I believe Free Abuse (fRaBs) author should
pick music if there still are "silent" levels. At least if he's still
alive :)

Providing data to the existing free artwork databases for all game
creators' use is, of course, another matter and I can offer myself to
input some entries if there's lots of links not covered by one
"database" or another and all there's left is to submit them :)

Lam