Re: Second Life

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 19:43 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 02:55 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > I have made a package for the Second Life client. It's ugly, and it
> > obviously can't go into extras, but it works for me:
> >
> > http://www.haxxed.com/rpms/secondlife-1.10.5.1-1
>
> Is the game package available? Or is it a non-free game? Ric

Non-free as in freedom, yes. Its closed source, available as an i686
binary only. I think you can play for free as in beer these days, and
you don't even need a credit card...

I haven't been able to find the actual license terms for the client. It
includes license texts for all the libraries it uses, but I didn't see
any for the actual client. Thus I don't know what their redistribution
policy is, so I'm distributing a nosrc.rpm for now. Linden Lab has been
rather community friendly, reverse engineering the protocol has actually
been okayed as long as it's "in good faith" for example.

I posted to the SL Linux Alpha forum, and... no responses at all so far.