Re: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2007-02-08

Jesse Keating wrote :

> > we can rip out all BuildRoot: lines for good :
> > > * Mandatory : The BuildRoot must start with
> > > %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}. The preferred value is
> > > %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n).
> >
> > I like sane "guide" lines, not arbitrary "fixed" lines that make little
> > to no sense.
>
> These are not enough to fix Ralf's issues.
>
> > If a mktemp based buildroot which actually fixes real issues is found,
> > I'll have absolutely no problem switching to that!
>
> Ralf should be able to point out these problems which a mktemp based solution
> would fix.

I've read Ralf's issues. Sure, there are issues, and I get his point.
Here's another, which IIRC Axel has already exposed a few times :
- Try to rebuild an x86_64 package on an x86_64 machine...  let's say it
takes a long time for some reason.
- Fire up the i386 rebuild for the same package on the same x86_64
machine... boom, you end up with installed files overwriting
each others! (I've never tested this myself)

Which brings me back to my initial points :
1) There are issues, we all know that.
2) There are issues which the current _mandatory_ BuildRoot doesn't fix!
3) We have barely made a fixed setting mandatory, and are already in
the process of finding it a replacement.

I'm not arguing against using the BuildRoot value which was _suggested_
until now. I'm just annoyed that it has been made _mandatory_ for (what
I find to be) no obvious reasons, and knowing we want to change it ASAP.

Oh, and co-workers should be using mock. People using plain rpmbuild
nowadays should be prepared to see about just as many side-effects as
people using rpmbuild as root a few years ago...

My packages under review are currently blocked because of this useless
guideline change :-(

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Load : 0.33 0.49 0.47