Re: Fedora Extras License Audit

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 12:47:07AM +0100, Till Maas wrote:

> When I asked what needs to be done to check the license of a package in review
> it was said that it is enough to check the upstream documentation, e.g. the
> COPYING file.

I don't think it is right. What I do is try some random files in each
directory to check that they have the right license. I also look
carefully at things that seems to be added by external contributors.
I also look at file names to try to find out some files that could come
from other projects and be problematic. And as soon as I find one thing
which isn't right, I do a complete audit of all the files.

> So looking into every source file for license information was
> probably not done for every package. And sometimes even included binary files

Is it really to be done on each file? For big non problematic packages,
I don't think it is worth it.

--
Pat