Re: clement is a yum repository?

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
4) Usability of yum: What happens if 10% of our packages feel they need
to give yum an upstream repo file?  Suddenly, there's 100+ repo files
that yum has to deal with.  If they're all enabled then yum has to
download primary.xml files from all of them.

You left out "assuming the server hosting the repo is up." Fedora has a nice distributed network of mirrors -- does clement? I don't want my yum session bombing out because Joe Random's colo happens to be out of commission. I support the notion that packages shouldn't ship (and certainly shouldn't enable) their own .repo files. There are already too many separate repositories for my liking, and I strongly suspect I'm not alone. Ship a .repo file in %doc if you want; I don't have a major beef with that (although ultimately FESCo or the Packaging Committee has the final say on that). Just keep it out of /etc/yum.repos.d/. I don't care how confusing it might be to enable it -- how confused do you think we were when we discovered (twice!) that you did such an outlandish thing?

     Jima