Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-11-24

On 11/26/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> I'd really like it if someone that cares (in an
>> ideal world: the QA-Sig) and has some spare cycles just would step up
>> and fix all those stuff that easily fixable -- this policy allow that:
>> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/WhoIsAllowedToModifyWhichPackages
> This doesn't fit too well into your scheme, as it results in some
> volunteers breaking stuff, other volunteers trying to fix the breakage.
> When the community gets

Well, I think we need someone like a QA group to fix things for other
people now and then. But the QA Sig could also handle what you outlined
above, e.g. somehow put pressure on the contributors so they fix their
stuff on their own.

IIRC, tibbs did this a few months ago on a package that was in the
report for months and after he launched a rebuild the maintainer came
on this message list and lambasted tibbs for launching a rebuild.
tibbs then got upset and said he would never attempt to help out in
this regard again.

I think there was some technical reason why the rebuild should not
have been done, so there needs to be a way for a developer to say, I
cannot fix this dependency problem because of some other issue, and
request QA SIGs to not push rebuilds.