Re: Tracker?

seth vidal wrote:
On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 13:28 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
seth vidal wrote:
On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 09:58 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
Hi.

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:44:16 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

If the old one is still there then it still obsoletes tracker.
So if I have packages A and B, where B obsoletes A. Now there is a rpm-newer
version of B (B-new) in another repo (updates) which no longer obsoletes A.

So as long as B exists anywhere I can not install A using yum, because
yum still considers the obsolete from B, even though it is no longer relevant
in any way?
When I was working on the obs vs updates code I kept asking about this.
The answer I repeatedly got was that obsoletes trumps updates no matter
what.
Was there a reason given for this? What breaks if it's the other way around?

mainly that an obsoleted package should stay obsoleted.

However, that means that if somebody carelessly uses an unversioned obsolete in a package that goes into a distribution release (i.e. the core repo), it is impossible to fix that error by issuing an update that removes the obsolete.

Take for instance the selinux-policy package in FC5. The version in the core repo obsoletes selinux-policy-devel, which was fair enough at the time of the release as there was no separate selinux-policy-devel package in Fedora. However, during FC5's lifetime, it became apparent that having an selinux-policy-devel package was desirable from the point of view of managing dependencies, and so the selinux-policy package was split into selinux-policy and selinux-policy-devel. This worked just fine on FC5 and is working fine on FC6 too, where there has been an selinux-policy-devel package in the core repo.

Where there is a problem is in building packages targeting FC5 using mock on FC6. The version of yum in FC6 behaves differently to the version in FC5, and decides that a buildreq of selinux-policy-devel (which should be picked up from the updates repo) is obsoleted by the selinux-policy package in the core repo and can be replaced by it. However, that package is buggy and cannot in fact be used to build things. So it's not possible to build packages requiring a buildreq of selinux-policy-devel for FC5 targets on an FC6 host without excluding selinux-policy from the core repo.

Coming back to the "an obsoleted package should stay obsoleted" theme, couldn't it be argued that version n of a package is obsoleted by version n+1 of the same package, and hence version n of a package should be ignored in the presence of version n+1?

Paul.