Re: Co-maintainers to assist upstreams with their packages in Extras

Linus Walleij wrote:
I'm happily upstream and maintainer for three packages, libnjb, libmtp and gnomad2.

Being part of Fedora has increased quality of all three projects, perhaps not much but to some extent. The package review process brings up many issues, and I have the privilege to avoid patching and sending patches upstream, instead I just FixIt(TM) and release a new version.

When releasing upstream, the fact that the tarball also survives the build server environment is a good acceptance test that ensures release quality.

Being both upstream and contributor is quite unproblematic, always was. And it's not much work at all, once you get into it.

Linus

I'll second that. I'm upstream on bit, bitgtkmm, conexus, conexusmm and papyrus. Because I needed cairomm to support papyrus, I packaged it as well. To support another project, clipsmm, I packaged clips. Because I use Fedora as my development platform I also packaged tetex-IEEEtran and adopted (adopted in a way) nqc.

I too gained alot of insight on the distribution of the packages (thanks Ralf Corsepius, Michael Schwendt, Paul Johnson, Gérard Milmeister, Jason Tibbitts and everyone else that provided feedback).

I think being a part of Fedora Extras has made my upstream packages better, and I think that the Fedora community should encourage, rather that discourage, participation by upstream authors as long as said upstream author's packages meet Fedora standards.

---

Rick L. Vinyard, Jr.