Re: Yet another license question

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@...> writes:
3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
   must display the following acknowledgement:
     This product includes software developed by the University of
     California, Berkeley and its contributors.
</citation>

Note: "ADVERTISING materials ... or USE ..."

Well, an "advertising material mentioning use of this software" is not the same as "Any publications or presentations, including but not limited to journal articles, web publications, or conference presentations or proceedings, resulting from the use of this software". This clause is a lot more broad. It's as if LaTeX required you to quote a paper on LaTeX in each and every paper you write with it, or if the GIMP required you to quote a paper next to any picture you edit using it.

While I don't have any decisive power whatsoever on Fedora, I'd really urge those who do to at least get this issue reviewed (maybe ask the FSF?) before issueing a blanket "it's OK", because I believe this to be a serious issue and a worrying precedent.

        Kevin Kofler

+1, its unfurtonate, but this license is not free, as very clearly explained by Kevin. Perhaps upstream can be nudged into changing the license?

Regards,

Hans