Re: [games sig] Downloader for shareware data files for gpl engines such as vavoom

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede@xxxxxx) said:
If you build on top of you are using / modifying / extending, In essence you're creating a derative work see GPL vs LGPL for libraries. No where in the guidelines it says (for firmware / content) that derative works have to be allowed, it only says freely distributable.

A collection of X,Y, and Z isn't a derivate work of X, Y, and Z.

Agreed, but how does "distribution must be free of charge, except normal access fees" which seems to be our only debating point stop you from shipping it in a collection?

Don't get wrong here I would like to include doom / quake / xxx shareware in FE for marketing reasons but I also believe that freedom matters, so I'm also partly playing devils advocate here / searching where the border / divide is.

Regards,

Hans