Re: Please help comment on hdf/netcdf compatability

Ed Hill wrote:
On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 13:55 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
I maintain hdf 4.2r1 in FE. I'm running into an issue with compatibility with netcdf. By default, hdf provides the netcdf api as well, unless compiled with -DHAVE_NETCDF.

I also maintain gdl, which can be linked against both hdf and netcdf, but I get complaints. I don't know if gdl can use the netcdf API in the hdf library or not - looking into it (if you know, tell me!).

Those of you who use both, what would you like to see?

Hi Orion,

I don't have an opinion here since I rarely use hdf4 and have yet to try
gdl (although it sounds cool and useful--just haven't had enough spare
time to examine it!).  In any case, if there is anything that I can do
to help (eg. with the netcdf package) please let me know.

Ed

After looking at the GDL docs some more, it looks like I'm going to need to compile HDF with -DHAVE_NETCDF in order for GDL to link to both netcdf and hdf. Hopefully this won't cause other problems.

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222