Feedback wanted on activity oriented approach in Bijra Project

Hi all,

First, I would like to tell you about the project itself. Though being
a place at the outskirts of Durgapur (India), Bijra hardly had any
access to computer related education. So we did setup an LTSP
server-client system at a school down there as a primary part of our
project [1].

But the story just begins here. Now, the students and teachers alike
are increasingly and critically using FOSS elements/softwares as an
aide or learning tools over there [2]. Specifically, KDE Edutainment
package, project gutenburg etc. are practical examples of such aides.
The students use KBruch to do mental maths, KGeography to brush up
their geography and simultaneously these made the teachers' life lot
easier. But there is a problem. There are **no** maps of India in the
kgeography, let apart the state & city maps. Now, in simple terms, a
techie geek in general needs no geography but the students need to
learn the same. So a typical solution would be a geeky write-up how to
add maps adapted from the KGeography Handbook [3] for their aid.
Initially, I even made such an attempt: Insight into KGeography [4].
As Indranil Dasgupta[5] posted, "It was fairly good! And it was also
just plain WRONG! If we wanted the experiment to get the geography and
history and language and science teachers to collaborate, really
scale, then we needed to speak in THEIR terms, and NOT speak __to__
them in our language."

So following the pedagogy in OLPC [6] which housed a collaborative
activity-oriented approach, we tried an "activity oriented approach".
So, instead of talking tech to a geography teacher regarding XML
layouts and all, we can actually discuss with them in terms of drawing
maps, colouring them, adding them and creating questions and
interactive activities around the maps with which they are already
familiar with. Well, in this case I re-made the entire stuff and ended
up with a sort of draft presentation "Lets' add the map of India in
KGeography" [7].

The whole idea is to present the tech thingy in a more structured,
focussed and digestable format to get the much needed things done.
Thus this activity oriented approach has double advantages, the
students not only gets to learn much more about their subjects using
FOSS elements but also gets to know the technical aspects.

So please put up your comments, suggestions for improvements regarding
this and brickbats if any :)

[1] [http://bijra.dgplug.org]
[2] Videos: [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp6ABm5B7IQ]
[http://indradg.randomink.org/blog/archives/92]