Re: Fedora and LTSP Development

Richard June previously wrote:
Do you have more information on what eharrison needs to have done? I'm
somewhat familiar with LTSP and have more than a passing familiarity with
fedora too.

Hey Richard,
So i was in attendance at Fudcon when Warren sort of spoke about the need for
some fedora community involvement to get ltsp integrated. Thanks to a
change in personal
circumstances I can commit some time in moving the integration effort
forward. I've already talked to warren a little bit in irc, but it
really comes down to what specific technical things need to be done,
and a plan of attack towards integration.

Richard have you gotten anywhere with getting a list of specific task
items? Have you had a discussion with eharrison yet?

Is the discussion outlined in http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/MueKow
and
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/IntegratingLtsp
still the state of the art for the ltsp5 vision?

Do we have a repository of scripts/bits/voodoo that eharrison has been
working on as a starting point? Do we have to modify some existing
packaging for necessary software pieces? Do we need to submit and
maintain some additional packages?

I'm looking at step 2 of
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/IntegratingLtsp and I see
some hangups.
* ltspfsd (no project space known, for more info see bottom of this
wiki article)
 if we are going to be integrating ltspfsd we really need to have an
established upstream development defined
lp_server (not available, due to licensing)
 ?????? Are we going to run into a licensing full-stop?

Also are there any blockers in the list at
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Ltsp5MinimumRequirements  ?

While we wait for eharrison to point us in the right direction, it
probably wouldn't hurt for the rest of us to take a real hard look at
debian's or ubuntu's ltsp-server-standalone package to see where the
particularly magical incantations are in setting up the ltsp
thinclient environment.

Oh and kids... go checkout koolu.com, looks like they are planning to
offer OPLC-grade hardware repackaged as ltsp thinclients.
-jef