Moodle Interview: A Beginner's Guide, Plus Thoughts on Moodle and Open Source Software

Last night I interviewed Michelle Moore about Moodle, the open source
learning management system (LMS) which has been so spectacularly
popular. Michelle held three sessions on Moodle in our Open Source Lab
at NECC 2006, and all three were packed.

As we talked, I was reminded of the impact that Moodle is having in
introducing free and open source software to the education market.
Michelle tells the story of her husband, as a district technology
director, saw Moodle change the whole story with regard to the use of
open source software--previously, he had met resistance in
implementing open source solutions, but with Moodle there was a huge
push from the users to make it available.

I would have to believe that this is, in part, because of the
significant cost of the commercial alternatives. Using Moodle can save
so much money that it probably opens doors just because of this. But
many also consider Moodle to be superior to the commercially-available
programs, and that has got to help!

The interview was intended to provide an overview of Moodle from
someone who is just learning about it for the first time. We do
discuss the current patent issue toward the end of the interview. You
can listen to the interview directly from the web at
www.K12OpenSource.com/Interviews, or at our new EdTechLive.com
website.  Both sites also have links to download the .mp3 or .ogg
files.

--
Steve Hargadon
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx