Re: Project organisation

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 17:18:40 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
> Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Okay, that makes sense. I don't see the benefits of moving the repos
> > to GitLab at this point, so I'd welcome you selling me on that. ...
>
> One of the main selling points of Gitlab, for me at least, is the
> online editing experience. There's a web IDE, which has syntax
> highlighting and validation. More importantly, it allows someone to
> submit changes without having to be familiar with PR workflows - you
> just click the "commit" button and it will create an MR for you. (A
> screenshot of what this commit step looks like in Gitlab:
> https://imgur.com/a/IBKufW8 .)
>
> Creating a fork, cloning it, and then creating a PR through Pagure is
> a bit involved and requires existing knowledge, which will surely put
> some potential contributors off. Some of these Gitlab features could
> help us to overcome those issues.

For completeness, I want to note that pagure does have this feature. You
should see a "fork and edit" button when you click "Edit this page" in
docs, and clicking that forks the repo for you and takes you to the web
editor where you can make your changes and commit to create a PR.

The pagure editor is not a full IDE, though.

Example screenshot attached.

--
Thanks,
Regards,