Re: more newbie-friendly dual-boot instructions?

On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 08:32:13PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Wouldn't such a user be better advised to run Fedora in a VM?

Maybe? Depends how much they're trying to shift, I guess. Like, if they're
going to keep Windows for games, it probably doesn't matter that graphics
might not perform as well inside a VM. But if they're trying to see if they
could live entirely in a Fedora world, dual booting gives a better test.

I like the suggestion for making this the primary recommendation, though.
Something like:

   It's easiest to install Fedora Workstation (or another Fedora spin) as
   the only operating system on your hard drive, completely replacing
   Windows. However, if you're not quite ready for that kind of commitment,
   you have two alternatives.

   The first is to install Fedora Workstation into a virtual machine in
   Windows. With this approach, your existing operating system is unchanged,
   and the Fedora OS runs in a protected environment "inside" it. There are
   a number of programs which provide virtualization, including Hyper-V on
   Windows Pro and VirtualBox (a free and open source cross-platform
   solution). We have instructions for the following virtualization
   environments:

   * Hyper-V (recommended where available)
   * VirtualBox (recommended)
   * VMWare Workstation Pro

   Installing in a VM is easy, but an operating system running that way does
   not have full access to your hardware, and you may not get the same level
   of performance. For this reason, many users choose to dual boot — that
   is, they divide their hard drive into different parts, devoting some to
   Windows and some to Fedora Workstation. Doing this requires you to have
   some basic knowledge of disk partitioning concepts and of boot loaders.
   Don't worry: we'll try to make it as easy as possible with the following
   guides:

   * Disk partitioning concepts for dual booters
   * UEFI boot concepts for dual booters
   * Step-by-step guide for installing Fedora Workstation to dual boot with
     Microsoft Windows

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>