Re: google season of docs

On 03/12/2019 03:52 AM, Justin W. Flory wrote:
On 3/11/19 5:37 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
This seems like it has potential!

https://opensource.googleblog.com/2019/03/introducing-season-of-docs.html

My personal suggestion is to wait for the program to mature before
volunteering Fedora.

I am skeptical. My first impression is it is a technical writing
certification program from Google, and open source projects act as
volunteer certificate proctors.

There was a long discussion about this on the Google GSoC mailing list.
A key difference of Season of Docs is technical writers are not paid.
This excludes a group of people in most need for professional experience
and mentorship. It also sends an implied message about the value of
technical writing; Season of Docs is the only Google open source program
(to my knowledge) without a stipend or compensation of time (GSoC with
paid stipend, GCI with sponsored trip to Google HQ).

My first impression was not boarding the bandwagon yet and observing how
the program matures first. I would like equal treatment for technical
writing and development work before endorsing the program.

My intention is not to be pessimistic, but I am disappointed this
feedback seems unaccounted for in how Season of Docs is currently
described and promoted.

Hi Justin,

Maybe the conditions have changed since you first learned about the program. The FAQ [1] says:

"Is Season of Docs considered an internship, a job, or any form of employment?"

Season of Docs is an activity that the technical writer performs as an independent technical writer for which they are paid a stipend. Technical writers may choose to opt out of receiving the stipend."

and:

"Will I be paid for participating in Season of Docs?

Yes. Google will provide a stipend to those technical writers who successfully complete the program. You can choose to opt out of receiving the stipend."

So, maybe we could give it a thought.

Regards,
Robert