Re: [commops] Self-introduction: Harris Kenny (kenhara)

On 02/25/2018 01:01 PM, Harris Kenny wrote:
> Hi commops!
>
> My name is Harris Kenny (kenhara). I am new to contributing to Fedora
> but have been running Fedora for several years on my personal machines.

Hi Harris! Welcome to the Fedora CommOps mailing list. We're happy to
have you here with us.

> I first learned about Fedora at Open Hardware Summit 2015, where I met
> Tom Callaway (spot). I enjoy the active community and stability of
> Fedora and have relied on its documentation as a new GNU/Linux user. I
> would love to help expand the documentation to help future new users.
>
> I want contribute to the Fedora Wiki because I have experience writing
> documentation. I specifically want to start by helping with
> documentation for 0 A.D. (0ad
> <https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/0ad>), which I recently
> discovered and love.

If you're interested in improving Fedora documentation, I would also
recommend checking out the Docs team. A lot of work is happening now to
"re-tool" the Docs team. If you are interested in updating existing
documentation or writing new documentation, I would recommend working
with the Docs team on the best way to do this.

I've also CC'd their mailing list in this reply. You can check out their
pages here:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/admin/lists/docs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

> Though this is a personal application to join commops, my professional
> work is relevant too. I work for Aleph Objects, Inc., manufacturer of
> LulzBot 3D printers. LulzBot printers are Free/Libre/Open Source, both
> the first product certified by the FSF
> <https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom> and
> the first printer certified by OSHWA
> <http://certificate.oshwa.org/certification-directory/>.

You may also be interested in the 3D Printing SIG in Fedora. I haven't
participated much with their SIG to know what tasks they are working on,
but you may find it interesting to check out. I also know Tom, who you
met, is a part of this SIG!

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/3DPrinting

> I started in Marketing at the company, helping establish documentation,
> tutorials, email newsletters, social media, digital advertising, trade
> shows, public relations, etc. with all Free/Libre tools. Cura LulzBot
> Edition software is also packaged for Fedora (see: cura-lulzbot
> <https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/cura-lulzbot>).
>
> In another personal capacity, I serve as Treasurer on the Board of
> Directors at OSHWA. I have also contributed writing to opensource.com
> <http://opensource.com>, among other places.
>
> Besides contributions to Wikipedia, this is the first time I'm looking
> to personally contribute to an open source project (outside of work).
> I'd love any articles or tips on how to get started and avoid obvious
> new contributor mistakes :) (Bootstrapped
> <https://pagure.io/Fedora-Badges/issue/409> seems like a good start)
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration!

Sounds like you have a lot of experience with open source – it will be
great to have you with us!

In the meanwhile, I would recommend "getting bootstrapped". At the Docs
FAD a couple weeks ago, I created a page to help explain how to do this.
It's not officially published yet, but you may find it useful!

https://docs.stg.fedoraproject.org/fedora-project/subprojects/mindshare/docs/contribute/first-steps.html

Let us know if you have any other questions. Hope to see you around. :-)

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory