Converting DocBook to AsciiDoc

Hello everyone,

A few months ago, Ryan (t3rm1n4l) sent an email to this mailing list to inform the group that he had converted the System Administrator's Guide to AsciiDoc [1], and to look for people interested in helping him to make it modular. To convert it, he used docscii [2].

docscii is a command line tool that takes DocBook source code and converts it to AsciiDoc. Unlike some other tools, it is familiar with the directory structure created by Publican, can work with the .ent files, and preserves original file names rather than producing one large AsciiDoc file with everything in it. It is written in Go. Unfortunately, the upstream project does not seem to be active any more, with the last commit being over four months old.

I think this tool has potential and believe that no matter how we decide to create documentation in the future, we will end up using AsciiDoc and having our old documents already in this language will allow us to focus on the important thing: the content, not the markup language. To help us refine the tool, I therefore created a fork of the upstream repository in Pagure and committed a few minor fixes (I am not a Go programmer though):

  https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/docscii/

If this interests you, let me know if you would like to get permissions to commit to this repo, and please report any issues you find there [3]. If we try, I think we can make the conversion nearly perfect. I also believe the original author is subscribed to this mailing list and I can still see them as a member of the fedora-docs group in Pagure so there is a chance some of the changes might eventually make it back to the upstream version of the tool.

Thank you,
Jaromir

Links:

[1] https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/asciidocs-sysadmin