Re: Fedora 25/26 hardware requirements in Release Notes outdated?

Dear all,
On 06.06.2017 14:12, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 10:24:00AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 10:21:39AM -0400, Florian H. wrote:
>>> I came across the Release Notes for Fedora 25 [1], and I think the
>>> system requirements are not adequate anymore. It says that the figures
>>> "are a recommended minimum for the default installation." Considering
>>> the default installation is a Fedora Workstation featuring the Gnome
>>> Desktop, 1 GB of RAM is not enough to have a pleasant experience. In my
>>> personal opinion, 2 GB is the absolute minimum for Gnome, still likely
>>> to result in a lot of swapping.
>>>
>>> In addition to the minimum requirements, we could introduce a section
>>> with recommended specs. Also, we could drop a sentence in regards to the
>>> less demanding Fedora spins.
>> +1 to all of this. I think we should recommend 4GB for Workstation.
>> Meanwhile, I know Fedora Cloud and Fedora Atomic Host boot and run on
>> 512MB droplets.
> Florian, if you're collecting new requirements here, once you have
> them settled, could you also file a websites ticket at
> https://pagure.io/fedora-websites/issues to list them so we can also
> fix the getfedora.org pages?  Thank you!

I am happy to collect the requirements and to file a ticket for the
websites.

Let me get started with a suggestion for specs, and I let the experts
correct and adjust. (This is in regards to a Fedora 26 Workstation
featuring the Gnome Desktop)

Minimum (for a x86_64 system):
CPU: 1GHZ (single core)
RAM: 2 GB
HDD: 12 GB (of which at least 2 GB should be used for swap space)

Recommended (for a x86_64 system):
CPU: 1.3 Ghz dual core
RAM: 4 GB
HDD: 15 GB

In addition, we should drop some lines saying that ...

 - the HDD requirements do not include space for personal files.

 - Atomic runs with 512 MB RAM.

 - there are less demanding Spins out there (with URL)

Are we trying to update this piece of information in the Release Notes
of upcoming Fedora 26, or is it too late already?

Best,
Florian