Re: Proposal: Adopt an AsciiBinder Based ToolChain

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016, at 06:08 PM, Zach Oglesby wrote:
> My personal opinion on this is that while asciibinder is easier to setup and get running, it puts us at the mercy of a few teams inside of Red Hat again. While I may be misremembering the past, I recall Publican being much more widely used than you seem to, but over time it lost ground to other tools and the team working on it got smaller. The same thing will happen if the teams working on asciibinder move on.

I respect your opinion and I note that I came in at the end of publican's life, not during it's heyday.

One thing that attracts me to AsciiBinder is that it is used by communities, albeit many with strong RH contribution, and not just inside of RH.  In fact, AsciiBinder is not currently used inside of RH at all, as far as I know.  I have also met at least one non-RH group and non-RH dominant community that uses AsciiBinder.  This plus the relative simplicity of the tool make me optimistic about its future.

I also believe that we are choosing tools for the next few years, not the next decade.  I think that this space is changing a lot and that agility is more important than trying be on the same toolchain over an extended period of time.

Additionally, AsciiDoc seems to open up a world of tooling options to us and reduces our risk of dependency on anyone, RH or Shaun.  Anecdotally, AsciiDoc also appears to recharge contributing communities.

Therefore, even if we as a community decide to go with pintail, I think it is critical that we both migrate to AsciiDoc as soon as possible and get something running by Fedora 26.  Ultimately our docs are only as good as our contributor count.  We must make all efforts to get an easier contribution workflow in place immediately.

> On the other hand, Shaun's career has been built on making tools for documentation; he was hired by Red Hat becuase of this. While it is ture that he is currently the only one working on pintail, he has a better understanding of documention life cycle becuase of the length of time he has been working in this domain. I do not see a diffrence between a team of people working on Red Hat products commiting to a tool as better than one person working on somthing that he is passionate about and has a proven track record on. I would much rather be reliant on Shuan's work than the whims of another team inside of Red Hat. I get that we are not making a lot of progress moving to pintail, but it is my opinion that in the long run it is the better tool.

While Shaun's career may have been built on tooling, I don't believe he or anyone else is omniscient.  I don't think Fedora is in a position to be the first or an early adopter of this tooling.  AsciiBinder and other toolchains have had greater adoption so far and therefore more people have hit and fixed the bugs.

Going back to my earlier comments, would it be worthwhile to "kick the ball down the field" with AsciiBinder or another tool? We can always change to pintail if that is a better choice down the road.

regards,

bex