Re: Tooling, Tooling, Tooling

On Sun, 2016-09-18 at 15:44 +0200, Brian Exelbierd wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2016, at 02:01 PM, Tummala Dhanvi wrote:
> >
> > If by chance the Mallard goes unmaintained we could also switch to
> > other tools (like Asciidoctor http://asciidoctor.org/) for
> > publishing
> > as we write the docs in Asciidoc format. But this method reduces
> > the
> > features that we wanted to use.

The chances of any of this going unmaintained are pretty small. We're
talking about a tool set that's been continually supported for over 15
years, and which has the backing of one of the oldest and most mature
projects in all of open source.

> What are the specific features of pintail (or the pipeline of
> converting
> AsciiDoc to Mallard) that we want to use that aren't available in
> other
> solutions?

I can only speak to the solutions we evaluated at the FAD, and Pete or
Zach might have have different thoughts. But here's what I think were
some compelling bits:

* Ability to manage entire site structure.
* Ability to grab different documents from different git repositories.
* Ability to work with existing content, without requiring everything
to be converted at once.
* Per-document search that works. Most site tools aren't designed for
docs and just have global search.
* Well-managed translations with access to powerful translation tools.

--
Shaun