Re: Semantic Tagging in AsciiDoc

On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 22:08 +0200, Brian Exelbierd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A chance conversation today led me to thinking about semantic markup
> and
> AsciiDoc.  AsciiDoc is easier to write because it has fewer tags.  It
> is
> also easier because it has fewer keystrokes.  However, it doesn't
> offer
> a lot of options for marking up elements to:
>
> * ensure consistency of localization by passing element information
> the localizer
> * ensure consistency of formatting by ensuring all of the same
> elements,
> for example command names, are marked up the same way
> * allow for future automated testing with a project like `emender`
>
> I went through the Installation Guide and found 97 DocBook XML tags.
> I've put them in the table on this wiki page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Tag_Discussion

A long, long time ago (2015!), I went through a similar process for
GNOME. For the curious, here's a couple blog posts, including a shell
script that will give you tag counts. (You'll need to change the path
where it looks for files.)

https://blogs.gnome.org/shaunm/2005/10/21/how-much-docbook/
https://blogs.gnome.org/shaunm/2005/10/22/how-much-docbook-internals/