Re: Should we stop publishing the current guides now?

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 07:08:44PM -0500, Glen Rundblom wrote:
> On 8/11/2016 8:34 AM, Brian Exelbierd wrote:
> > This email is to drive some discussion around $subject.  It follows from
> > a blog soon to be posted on the Fedora Community blog
> > (https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org).  The text below is copied
> > from that blog:
> >
> > Should we stop publishing the current guides now?
> >
> > The requirement to keep publishing the current guides feels very
> > self-imposed. Continuing to publish them is a challenge for the new
> > tooling as it has to be built to accommodate the past and therefore
> > slows down the future.
> >
> > Additionally, publishing the current books spreads our resources very
> > thinly, if not past the breaking point. It also creates inertia which
> > prevents the move to topics. Confusion can result from this as well
> > because contributors don't know what to update (old books or new
> > topics).
> >
> > Lastly, there is a growing belief in the larger documentation community
> > that no docs is better than old docs. Here this is a direct reference to
> > the fact that we don't republish all the docs for every release and we
> > don't thoroughly review every doc that is published. Versioned docs are
> > important, but some old materials is probably going to cause problems
> > (i.e. references to yum or iptables.)
> >
> > One proposal was to have a "flag day" where we stop updating the current
> > docs and another day (or same day) where we stop the publication. this
> > would definitely need to be moderated for versions not end of lifed.
> >
> Hi Brian, and everyone out there.
> I am torn at this question for a few reasons:
>
> 1. I enjoy working on the Virtualization Getting Started Guide
> 2. I work in the Education system, so during the October release of Fedora,
> updating the guide is a super-human effort
> 3. I would relish the idea of being able to no longer be responsible for the
> guide, yet, I do enjoy working on it. To me the Virtualization Getting
> Started Guide kind of feels a little bit like a ball and chain. I feel like
> I must update it because I am not sure anyone else has the interest or the
> time to update it.
>
> So most of that is just personal feelings, and no facts behind it. Hopefully
> it contributes something to the discussion.

Very thoughtful response IMHO, Glen.  My feeling is that if we were
writing shorter, task-based documentation, the level of effort would
decrease.  I tend to think a set of short articles covering much the
same ground as the VGSG would make it easier for new community members
to join you in the work.