Re: post-FAD: next steps

On Fri, 2016-07-01 at 21:45 +0000, Zachary Oglesby wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 5:00 PM Jean-Baptiste
> <jean-baptiste@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Hi there,
>
>         The Localization team wrote some docs related items in
>         G11N/Fedora 24
>         Talking points [1], three pages to help exchanges with docs
>         team (I'm
>         the current coordinator of french team who did this,
>         especially Jaaf64).
>
>         But it also requires :
>         2.1 To include translation process from the beginning of your
>         new chain
>         of tools (/dream : and to make the process automatic like
>         Websites)
>

> I will try and answer the rest of this later, but I would like to let
> you know that we are thinking about translations from the start, but
> the exact process has not yet been ironed out. One option is that
> pintail, or publishing tool chain will support during build time, the
> other option is to do it as a part of the CI/CD process, either way we
> fully intend to support translation.

There are three things to consider here: (1) tools that translators use
(e.g. zanata), (2) publishing tools, and (3) actual strings.

1) The tools that translators use should not change, unless translators
call for a change. There might be backend changes with how strings are
fed to translation tools, but these should be mostly transparent to
translators.

2) The publishing tools will have to know how to work with the tools
that translators use. That's engineering work, and it's on me.

3) In converting to new formats and org structures, some strings will
inevitably change, but nowhere near all of them. I'd guesstimate about
half the translatable strings will be unchanged. So your current work
won't all be wasted.

I think there needs to be a gradual changeover to topic-oriented docs
with asciidoc. Blocking on 100% conversion in a single release will bog
everybody down. GNOME took about three years to transition all its 50+
documents to topics.

--
Shaun