Re: Intro

> Hi Ryan!
>
> On 03/15/2016 12:56 AM, Ryan Mason wrote:
>
> Ha! Yeah, sorry, looks like randomuser missed your mail and I didn't but
> got distracted and then forgot about it. Welcome aboard!

Thank you very much!

> That's going to make collaboration a bit complicated as almost all of us
> are in Europe or the Americas - but we'll manage. Go ahead and post any
> questions or thoughts you have to the list if you can't get a hold of
> anyone on IRC.

The weekly meeting time isn't too bad for me at 10pm my time. And I'm always on IRC so scrolling back through twice a day is not a big problem. We shall manage! :)

> Cool! Do you have any specific interest that you'd like to write about?
> Some area like, I don't know, networking, software development, running
> Fedora on ARM, LDAP...?

Not particularly. I am majoring in cyber security with my degree, so I might be able to pass on knowledge once I learn more about that particular domain. At this stage I would consider myself an intermediate Linux user but I am slowly learning!

> In any case, as you probably got from reading the meeting log, we're
> (slooooowly) getting ready to start on Release Notes for Fedora 24. Beta
> comes out in early May[1] and by that time we'd like to cover Changes[2]
> that are implemented at that point. For the final release we'll polish
> the Beta notes and hopefully expand them with things that changed, but
> aren't covered in Changes. Writing this is a good place to start for new
> contributors, since it doesn't require much knowledge about our tooling,
> you only need to edit the Wiki and talk to people. And it's a set of
> fairly small, isolated tasks, not like writing a whole chapter in a book.
>
> Either I or randomuser will send out instructions for writing relnotes
> to this list soon.
>
> For the rest of our documentation - are you familiar with any of the
> tools we currently use? Docs are written mostly in DocBook[3], built
> using publican, and revision control (and publishing... yes, seriously
> :) is handled using git. There's a pretty big thread[4] going on the
> list about making the Docs Project more accessible to newcomers, which
> would mean changing our workflow and adopting new tools - if you have an
> hour to spare, read through and let us know what you think too.
>
> Though, even if we do completely change our workflow, it's going to take
> time, so right now learning git and DocBook is still pretty much
> required in order to contribute to anything other than Release Notes. If
> you haven't worked with any of them, it's fine - let us know and we'll
> show you around.
>
> Cheers,
> Petr
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/24/Schedule
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/24/ChangeSet
> [3] http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html
> [4]
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/docs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...

I've got a little experience with git - but I'm no expert. DocBook is new to me, but I've bookmarked the link and will get to reading up on it in the next week or so. I'll spend some time reading in the next 11 or so days as I've taken a week off work, and will give someone a shout if I have any specific questions :)