Re: Fedora Docs OT guidelines, please!

On 02/14/2014 09:02 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
> Hey Tom,
>
> Can you provide some general legal-type guidelines on mentioning
> not-Fedora topics in Fedora Docs?  I've learned that we shouldn't
> directly guide users to third party repos, but there's a lot of room for
> potential conflict.
>
> Lately, I've been woorking on a multiboot guide and wondering what would
> be considered permissible. For example, I'd like to explain how to
> disable Windows' "fast reboot" feature to allow Fedora users to mount an
> NTFS volume safely. I'd also like to explain how to add Windows or some
> other OS to GRUB manually, or to a system's firmware boot options with
> `uefibootmgr`. There's varying degrees of foreignness there, and the
> list certainly isn't exhaustive - just some token examples.
>
> It would be good to have some general guidelines to follow going
> forward. I would like to find a home for them in the Documentation Guide.

This is a bit tricky, but here's the best I can do right now:

* We cannot tell people how to do things that violate software patents.
- No "this is how to play mp3s"

* We cannot walk people through enabling third party repositories where
we have a high degree of suspicion that they contain legally
questionable items in them. This is tricky, hence, it is safer to just
not mention it at all.

* We cannot tell people how to do things that would violate US law
- No "this is how to decode DVDs via FOSS tools"

Making changes to Windows? Totally fine.

hth,

~tom