Re: Fw: Lowering the participation barrier for Fedora Docs

Hi:

On 19 November 2013 21:05:03 Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> I was delighted to see my name in a previous email. It is an encouragement
> that I am important.
This is Fedora. Everybody's opinion is important.

> Can the group move to a facebook/G+/forum/Linkedin
No, no, maybe, no. This is still Fedora, so all our software must be free.

> approach, where we can
> "bid" on doing documentation, where the docs can be scrutinized by anyone
> with a cellphone/tablet. The writing tool is a partial issue, only chose a
> software that does not always require on-line access.
Judging by how you explain it later on, this seems like a pretty good idea. If
this strategy will be successful, we should use a community where many
contributors are already gathered, so starting the "Docs Forum" isn't a good
idea. If we, the Fedora Project as a whole, had the interest to do something
like "make Bugzilla social," or to "gamify Bugzilla," we might get this done.

Of course, Bugzilla only solves the problem of finding tasks and following
their completion---it's not a front-end for documentation editing.

> I am  in  Canada; I don't know if that makes any differences.
It does. The fact you live in a multilingual city makes a difference too, as
does that city's unusually high visibility of anarchic thinking.

> Ask the community how they would like to help. If
> the rejects say maybe because I have poor writing skills, just poo poo that
> and explain that we have some editors that will fix the grammar and
> spellings.  Make the group warm and cozy.
That's on my "to-do" list.

> Pete, when an employer allows his guy to take his productivity time for
> IRC,meeting, he is lucky. Most can respond to a Forum.
It's true that it's difficult to attend IRC meetings (which is why I don't).
Meetings should be, and are, used along with our forum-equivalent, which is
this mailing list.

> PS. Any writing clubs or groups or senior golden-agers who don't know or
> heard about Linux can be targeted too. Many of those members were/are top
> notch software developers. They have brains that they do not want to become
> rusty. You would be surprised at the timelyness and quality of writing that
> many of these individuals can provide.
That's probably true, but we need people who can tap into those areas of
society. I, for one, would not venture there by myself.

> Our Spanish, Russian, French, Chinese Fedoracans should get the same
> messsage. I can translate French to English, and work with French writers.
> Who knows how friendships can develop. Why does it have to be English
> First, and the other languages second?
Because the Fedora's primary contributors tend to be monolingual Americans,
Red Hat is an American company, and this is our established assets. You and I,
as Canadians in Montréal, see this situation from a very different perspective,
and I've thought about it quite deeply. It's not simple.

Here are some things to consider:

(1) One of the guides (I *think* the Software Management Guide, not published
in English since Fedora 14) was written in Spanish first.

(2) Our infrastructure is designed for English as the source language.

(3) Our infrastructure is designed for one source language.

(4) The Fedora contributors who are part of Red Hat tend to be results-
oriented, so an experimental multi-lingual development model will probably
have to be the result of us community members.

(5) We haven't fully thought about the workflow changes required when working
across language communities. Collaboration takes longer, and when we already
have a full set of Guides in English, the benefits of multi-lingual development
on non-money-making topics will be difficult to see using our existing measures
of success.

Nevertheless, this is also on my "to-do" list, along with cross-distribution
collaboration.

Christopher