Re: Documenting Features

On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 20:55 -0500, Christopher Antila wrote:
> Hi:
>
> On 30 January 2013 00:29:47 pete wrote:
> > I've been reading the Feature discussions on devel@ today, and an idea
> > came to mind. A process for documenting accepted Features would help
> > prevent major changes from slipping through the cracks. Here's what I
> > came up with so far; I think we can hammer it into something useful:
> Good idea. I suggest we revise and formalize the beat-writers' workflow with a
> process that uses the feature pages.

I don't have a problem with incorporating this into the beats workflow,
per se. The main motivation for proposing it as a separate set of
assignments and tasks were to solidify documenting Features as a Docs
Project endeavor, not just a Release Notes endeavor. Ideally, the
product of a feature writer would be usable in Guides as well as the
Release Notes, essentially adding a check to the guides during each
release.  A separate process could either fragment our efforts or
provide low handing fruit for new participants.

> > Accepted Features[1] will be listed in a table roughly analogous to that
> > used for Release Note Beats[2]. The table would have columns for the
> > Feature name, a docs volunteer, and developer contact, as well as others
> > reflecting the Feature documenting workflow.
> I'm not sure we need another table. We already have developer contacts for
> many of the Release Notes beats. What we could do is revise the "Release
> Notes" and "Documentation" sections of the Feature page after a beat writer
> moves it into a particular beat, or a QA contact moves it into a particular
> Guide.
>
> What other information did you imagine we would put in this table?

Wrote example configs, checked guides, maybe. Placeholders for a process
yet to be fleshed out.

> > A set of guidelines for the docs volunteer covering a feature will come
> > along with the table. The set of tasks to be juggled might include:
> > 	- Establishing an appropriate developer point of contact to aid in
> > documentation. Note that this isn't always the feature owner.
> Between the existing developer contacts and the feature owner, do you think we
> will need another?

In most cases, the feature owner would be the point of contact. By
including this in the process, we are opening a channel of communication
with the developers. More cooperation will in theory lead to higher
quality documentation. Given the number of F18 features that had little,
none, or inadequate information in the release notes section of their
wiki page, it seems like a good idea to remind the feature owners about
us early on.

> > 	- Ensuring the content of the Feature is understandable by a
> > hypothetical average user.
> This is something beat writers (should) already do. We saw in the F18 cycle
> that it's not necessarily the case, but a standardized workflow will help!

Agreed. A well defined beats workflow is a good idea, whether or not it
directly addresses features.

> > 	- Working up a basic guide to implementing the feature, if applicable.
> In September, I wrote an email to the Docs QA list with a draft process to get
> features into applicable Guides.[1] I think we only partially did this for
> Fedora 18, and I don't remember any further developments in this area.
>
> If you're suggesting a Release Notes supplement, where we describe how to use
> new features, that's something entirely different.

I'm proposing to draft your process into a new one :) We'd get roughly
the same end result either way, but I suspect chunking the work up into
small sets of tasks is easier to swallow. A new contributor might balk
at the idea of checking every feature against every guide, but might
accept volunteering to cover a single feature.

> > 	- Creating an entry for the Feature in the appropriate Release Notes
> > beat.
> Beat writers.
>
> > 	- Checking existing guides for impact caused by the new Feature, filing
> > bugs as needed, and assisting the guide owners in updating as
> > appropriate.
> See above about QA contacts.
>
> Also, the Release Notes QA contact (zogelsby) could check that all the Feature
> pages have been documented in the appropriate beat. Maybe he already does!

Fair point. I see QA as definitively reactive - valuable, of course, but
reactive - where a feature patrol could be proactive.  Still, the job
gets done either way, and QA can happen at any time.  I don't want to
replace QA, just split up some of the work for easier distribution.

> > A defined process like this will help split up the workload caused by
> > feature churn and cut redundant efforts by providing new information for
> > multiple published works. Your thoughts?
> As it stands, I think what we need most is more people who are both consistent
> across releases and have the time to do a good job. A clearly-defined working
> process will help beat-writers get on board in the first place, and remember
> what to do (and how easy it was!) when it comes time to repeat in the next
> cycle.
>

> Christopher
>
> [1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs-qa/2012-
> September/000103.html

Yes! More docs contributors would be great! I'll send some of my wife's
bacon chocolate cupcakes to anyone who recruits new beat writers.
--
-- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader