Re: Efficient Storage of Media Files

On 05/24/2012 09:27 AM, Ben Cotton wrote:
It seems like a good candidate for being hosted outside of git. Perhaps we
could get some space on fedorahosted.org for the files?

That would (kinda) solve the problem for now; but the deeper underlying problem is that I think we're reaching the limit of what we can sensibly do with Git :)

This was only ever a stop-gap mechanism while we implemented proper packaging for the docs; unfortunately, like many systems that work "well enough", we never got to replacing it.

Personal admission: it was actually my personal goal during my year on the board to make this happen, but I never got to it ;)

So: what do we need?

1. I think the procedural obstacles to getting every writer and translator access to Koji are probably bigger than we want to handle. We therefore need to stand up a build system of our own. Ideally, this would be a Koji instance of our own: the benefit of Koji is that it insulates the build process very well from issues that might be specific to people's own machines. If that's too much work to pull off in the short term, we should simply create a build server with current publican and publican-fedora installed on it, and access granted to anyone in the docs-publishers group. Packages built on this machine would be placed in a repo.

2. We would need to modify the staging server that currently pulls our docs.git to instead install packages built on the build server.

I think that if we pull together, we should be able to get this up and running reasonably soon. Who's interested in collaborating on a project like this?

Cheers
Rudi