Re: Proposal: end Gilligan's Island copyright notices in Fedora docs

>> That is only a valid objection if the suggestion was (c) Fedora Project
>> but (c) Fedora Project contributors says something different.  It means
>> *individual* Fedora project contributors hold the copyright to their
>> contributions which is certainly possible and is the case here.
>
> Correct.  But if we do that then we should just list *who* holds the copyrights.

I personally think that's unmaintainable. And here's why:
First, with some of our guides that have seen organic growth over
releases there are scores of people with copyright claims. Who is
going to ensure that it's right, up to date, and who is going to want
to page through it? Secondly, we have translators who don't get
attribution until the next release for their work.

Do we really want this kind of copyright notice:

(c) Copyright 200x-2011 Fabian Affolter, Amanpreet Singh Alam,
Jean-Paul Aubry, David Barzilay, Domingo Becker, Subhransu Behera,
Michał Bentkowski, Rahul Bhalerao, Runa Bhattacharjee, Teta Bilianou,
Vitor Vilas Boas, Lucas Brausch, Hector Daniel Cabrera, David
Cantrell, Guido Caruso, Guillaume Chardin, Nikos Charonitakis, Chester
Cheng, Tom K. C. Chiu, Glaucia Cintra, Fabien Decroux, Hans De Goede,
Claudio Rodrigo Pereyra Diaz, Piotr Drąg, Damien Durand, Stuart Ellis,
Ali Fakoor, Felix I, Tony Fu, Paul W. Frields, Paul Gampe, Sree
Ganesh, Dimitris Glezos, Guillermo Gómez, Igor Gorbounov, Rui Gouveia,
Kiyoto James Hashida, Severin Heiniger, Xi Huang, Ryuichi Hyugabaru,
Jayaradha N, Chris Johnson, Eunju Kim, Michelle J Kim, Miloš
Komarčević, Alexey Kostyuk, Daniela Kugelmann, Rüdiger Landmann,
Magnus Larsson, Christopherus Laurentius, Florent Le Coz, Erick Lemon,
Andy Liu, Wei Liu, Yelitza Louze, Gan Lu, Jens Maucher, Igor Miletić,
Noriko Mizumoto, Jeremy W. Mooney, Enikő Nagy, Igor Nestorović, David
Nalley, John Nguyen, Manuel Ospina, Janis Ozolins, Ankit Patel,
Davidson Paulo, Ani Peter, Amitakhya Phukan, Silvio Pierro, Micha
Pietsch, José Nuno Pires, Piotr Podgórski, Yulia Poyarkova, Shankar
Prasad, Rajesh Ranjan, Tommy Reynolds, Tim Richert, Dominik Sandjaja,
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan, Mohsen Saeedi, Tian Shixiong, Audrey Simons,
Keld Simonsen, Jared K. Smith, Espen Stefansen, Sulyok Péter, Sümegi
Zoltán, Francesco Tombolini, Timo Trinks, Dimitris Typaldos, Göran
Uddeborg, Michaël Ughetto, Francesco Valente, Karsten Wade, Sarah
Saiying Wang, Geert Warrink, Elizabeth Ann West, Tyronne
Wickramarathne, Ben Wu, Xiaofan Yang, Yuan Yijun, Diego Búrigo
Zacarão, Izaac Zavaleta, Red Hat Inc, and others.

That's the list of contributors on the F15 Install Guide. The above
list (since it doesn't have all of the translators) isn't complete,
and it has some errant contributions (assuming that RHT employees who
contribute work don't retain copyright, and then we have people like
Paul Frields who have contributed as employee and non-employee). Add
to that that we have a good chunk of information on the wiki and no
good way to list who the contributors there are.

So I am going to say something that is likely to be unpopular. I think
we should go with (c) Copyright 2011 Fedora Project Contributors as
that would cover both RHT contributions and individual contributors,
or perhaps as Richard suggested, no explicit copyright notice. It's
less effort to maintain, it scales to other places like the wiki, and
our websites. That said, I am currently doing precious little of the
work in Docs, so my opinion may hold little weight.

I am also somewhat worried that we really aren't talking about
copyright notices, and if that's the case we should discuss the real
issue.

--David