Re: Proposal: end Gilligan's Island copyright notices in Fedora docs

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 00:32, Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I recognize the convenience of a universal legal notice for purposes
> of automating generation of documentation, but there is something
> about it that bothers me. Consider two examples: the Fedora 14 Amateur
> Radio Guide and the Fedora 15 Musician's Guide.  From what I can tell,
> the actual authors of these documents are not, and were not at time of
> authorship, Red Hat employees. (Moreover, it is not necessarily the
> case, in any given situation, that Red Hat would be copyright holder
> of all or some of the text even if they had been Red Hat employees,
> but for simplicity let's ignore that issue.)

Don't RH employees retain copyright of their work?  I thought I ran
into this problem when I was trying to get some text from RH for the
Security Guide.

> Nevertheless, why should a document that was actually written
> exclusively by non-Red-Hat employees use "Copyright Red Hat, Inc. and
> others" (what a friend of mine has called a "Gilligan's Island
> copyright" after the original Gilligan's Island theme song which
> famously referred to the important characters of the Professor and
> Mary Ann as "and the rest")?

Are we, the Fedora contributors, hoping that Red Hat will stand up for
us if there is ever a problem with copyright infringement?  Is this
even a valid assumption?  As we've seen with the recent Righthaven
cases, if you don't own the copyright then you can't sue for
infringement.  I don't know how this would work with Fedora
documentation.

>  2) Red Hat is "first among equals" when it comes to attribution for
>  Fedora project documentation; non-Red-Hat-associated contributors to
>  Fedora documentation merit only second-class status.
>
> I submit that 1) is already rather obvious to the world and is, if
> anything, problematically exaggerated in the public mind. I submit
> that 2) is an inappropriate use of a copyright notice even if the
> policy were legitimate. Copyright notices aren't supposed to be used
> for attribution - I recognize that in free software they often do
> serve that purpose - but if they *are* used for attribution,
> attribution ought to be given to the human authors. Or to the Fedora
> Project as collaborative thing. (A nice thing about CC licenses is
> that they decouple attribution from copyright ownership, as in fact
> you can see in the default documentation legal notice which states
> that attribution is to be given to the Fedora Project -- not Red Hat.)

Attribution is a problem that I wrote about on the list not too long
ago.[0]  In my opinion we aren't doing attribution correctly.
Unfortunately CC-BY-SA doesn't provide any specific requirement on
*how* to attribute the work (thanks to Spot for pointing that out).

We need to make a standard for doing this in Fedora and perhaps write
a SOP for others that want to use Fedora documentation on how we want
attribution to be done.

> If no such strong desire exists, it is my desire to recommend changes
> that will eliminate the use of the Gilligan's Island copyright notice
> in Fedora documentation.

I think we should seriously visit the entire copyright and licensing
issues and try to address them.  At this point I think attribution is
a problem and, from your thoughts, the licensing wording isn't
correctly implemented.

Thanks for bringing this up.

[0] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs/2011-June/013440.html

--Eric