Re: Docs CMS Idea

On 06/27/2010 10:01 AM, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
<snip>
>> It just seems so much more attractive to me to use a Publican front-end
>> called "Publican" than to have to start GEdit, turn on Publican mode,
>> and still have to use external applications to preview my work, or to
>> get help.
>
> Ryan Lerch is working on a graphical front-end to Publican called
> "Endoculator" that might provide most of the workflow you're
> describing.[5] It's still under heavy development though, and is not yet
> packaged.

As a question out of left field, has anyone in the docs team looked at
using Confluence + Scroll Wiki Exporter?

   http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/
   http://www.scrollyourwiki.com/display/web/Scroll+Wiki+Exporter

I've used Confluence in organisations before, and it's best of breed for
Wiki software.  It also supports direct editing of wiki pages through
OpenOffice and MS Word, which is *brilliant* for people used to using a
word processor!

The Scroll Wiki Exporter plug-in for it exports the content to DocBook
v5 and/or DITA, which Publican could (in theory) then build/publish.
The Scroll Wiki Exporter plug-in seems to get high marks/good reviews,
so thinking it might actually be a go-er.

I keep thinking I should set up an demo on a server and see if it
actually works in practise, but I'm not sure if anyone is actually
interested enough to have a look. :)

?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift