Beats that come and go

There has been some question lately about beats that come and go.  For
Rudi and I, who perhaps get a little broader view, it is pretty obvious,
but for those who are only working on parts of the Release Notes, it
seems a little mysterious.

Sometimes a beat doesn't have any content for a particular release of
Fedora.  In general, we strike out those beats on the beat page.  If we
discover later that we need that beat, we simply remove the strikeout.

What is perhaps less obvious, is that there is an XML file for every
beat in git.  These files start out their life having only the title for
the section and a comment with a link to the beat page (that purple line
in the drafts).

The en-US/Release_Notes.xml file is nothing more than a long list of
include statements.  When a beat is struck out on the wiki, the include
statement is commented out in Release_Notes.xml.  If we later discover
that there is a need for the beat, we just uncomment the include
statement.

This came up most recently with the Power PC.  Last release there wasn't
much in the way of architecture-specific content, so we didn't expect
any this time.  As a result, these files were commented out in
en-US/Release_Notes.xml.  However, this release the Power PC becomes a
secondary architecture, something that certainly needs to be mentioned
in the Release Notes.

Folks working on converting the wiki noticed that there was no section
for architecture specific notes, even though there was a wiki page for
that.  Once we have some content, we will simply uncomment the include
statement and the architecture specific section will show up again.

By the way, that purple line with the link to the beat, as well as the
Draft watermark, will be gone for the final release.  They are
controlled by a "show_remarks" line in publican.cfg, and a status
parameter on the "article" tag in Release_Notes.xml.

--McD