Re: guide admins

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:24:33PM -0500, Eric Sparks Christensen wrote:
> On 01/13/2010 02:39 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > Some suggestions:
> >
> > * Can active writers/leaders/admins for those groups address the open
> >   requests so people don't feel forgotten forever?
>
> Yeah, I'm seeing one of two types of requests come in:
> 1) People that need that extra group to vote or have access to something
> that apply to the first thing they see.
>
> 2) People that want to work with something but don't understand they
> need to be a part of the Docs Project first.
>
> Hopefully we don't have requests where people are trying to gain access
> to stuff to do bad things.

Yeah, I can't imagine it's malice, just benign ignorance or confusion.

> > * Can someone do an audit to make sure that all of our guides have
> >   active maintainers, who have admins privileges, and know to respond
> >   to the requests?
>
> Yeah, this needs to happen.  I'm not sure how many groups are out there
> but it is time to do some auditing, again.

Best to start with the list on Fedora Hosted.  This is one reason why,
when I originally ported things over to git.fedorahosted.org from our
old CVS, I put the new repositories under a /docs/ subfolder -- so
they'd be easy to find in the huge list of projects.  Of course we
also have things existing in SVN, so those need to be checked too.

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docs/ reports these guides and docs:
I'm not sure whether all are meant to be owned by the Docs team.  Some
are owned by Eric or other Docs contributors.

docs/about-fedora.git
docs/deployment-guide.git
docs/homepage.git
docs/install-guide.git
docs/readme-burning-isos.git
docs/readme-live-image.git
docs/readme.git
docs/release-notes.git
docs/user-guide.git
Virtualization_Guide.git
accessibility-guide.git
amateur-radio-guide.git
documentation-guide.git
installation-quick-start-guide.git
jargon-buster.git
redhatsecurityguide.git
respin-guide.git
rpmguide.git

L10n owns this:
translation-quick-start-guide.git

Nigel Jones owns this, but Docs can participate by asking I'm sure:
electionsguide.git

> > * Can we coordinate to make sure requests aren't left too long?
>
> If we make all the git/svn/etc groups dependent on Docs membership this
> might help with all the requests.

That sounds reasonable, the same as sysadmin-* depends on a general
sysadmin-main group.

> We should review these requests weekly, at least.

Add to the agenda then?

> > The open problem is that people request to join a group without ever
> > knowing about or following a related joining process.
>
> Can't we add a link in the description that shows people the proper
> joining process?

Sure, although I don't think it's possible to make it HTML clickable.
Visit
e.g. https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/group/view/gitinstall-guide
to do this.

> > When I was an active guide/group maintainer, I would cycle through,
> > send email to people asking them to following the process at URL, then
> > delete their request after it hung out for more than a month.
>
> Yeah, that's a good plan.  We have some tools in IRC that allow us to
> look at FAS IDs and see if something doesn't look right.

Yay zodbot!