Re: Moving Docs Project to Category:Docs Project

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Christensen" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "For participants of the Documentation Project" <fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: Moving Docs Project to Category:Docs Project

 So I don't actually sift through much of the other noise that's out
there.  But if people can't find something that is actually there then
that's a problem.

We need to take a harder look at what we want to do. When we got rid of the hierarchical naming so that "search could work", we changed "hard to find" into "impossible to find". And search is just as hopeless as it ever was.

Susan mentioned a hundred and some pages in the Docs_Project category. That is a lot, but not totally unmanageable. Unfortunately, I suspect not all relevant pages are in the category. And, really, there are enough pages in the category that it is hard to find what you need.

We already have a lot of subcategories; probably too many. Unfortunately, many pages, especially newer pages, aren't in the appropriate subcategory. That failure makes the subcategories mostly useless since they become repositories for documents you don't want to see, kind of like search.

If we had a SMALL number of relevant subcategories, our odds of getting a page into the appropriate subcategory would increase. As it is we are lucky to remember to put something into the project category. The odds of knowing what the appropriate subcategory might be are vanishingly small.

On top of that, I'm afraid we need a more aggressive wiki gardening effort.

Just some thoughts

--McD