Re: Meeting tonight

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: Meeting tonight

Yeah, it's not clear to me why that standard was used,
or why other usage isn't supported.

It seems to me that we *should* use the ISO, although what I read seemed a little vague, but the issue extends far beyond Docs.

Can you be more specific?  I might be able to offer the
meager knowledge I have if I know what problems you
faced.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the exact cases because they made so little sense, but it seems to me that if I had a de-DE omf file, I would get the release notes in German, but an nl-NL would not. There also seemed to be some inconsistency even within one language, which now that I think back, could have been related to the previous language.

If you look at the screen on nl asking you to rename folders, the target names are in Dutch, but the outside instructions are in English. I'm pretty sure I saw that entire thing in Dutch at least once, but on reflection, I may have been looking at German, since I was running through all the languages we had translated and I could have easily taken German for Dutch without a close look.

 On my box, for example, $LANG is set to
'en_US.UTF-8'.

Yes, but what is interesting is that if you log on in German, you get de.UTF-8, but with Dutch, you get en_US.UTF-8. Seems like I may have seen one other language like that. Someone also suggested I explore /etc/sysconfig/i18n, but that seems to always contain en_US no matter what.

I would argue that we don't need to package OMFs or
XML if we're providing the standard HTML-version builds
from Publican.

I like that idea, actually. I provided the same behavior as our current; System->Help provides About Fedora and Release notes in yelp, System->About Fedora provides only About Fedora also in yelp. I don't see any obvious way to find the readme's tho. If we put all the Docs on the System->Documentation menu as Publican does it would make more sense to me, but since I didn't understand how those menus get internationalized I didn't want to go there.

One of the reasons for moving to publican was to provide a
more rigorous release engineering process

I'm a fan of that reasoning.

In the F12 cycle it won't even be needed because the next
release of Transifex

Good thinking.  No point in strssing over it.

--McD