Re: install guide draft

Mani A wrote:
I had a look at some parts of

http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/Installation Guide/en-US/html
Many thanks! We need eyes on this.
"7.22.4. SMP Motherboards and GRUB
In previous versions of Fedora there were two different kernel
versions, a uniprocessor version and an SMP version. In Fedora 11 the
kernel is SMP-enabled by default and will take advantage of multiple
core, hyperthreading, and multiple CPU capabilities when they are
present. This same kernel can run on single CPUs with a single core
and no hyperthreading. "

This is being repeated since FC-4-6?
Did the native kernel have multiprocessor support before F9? http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Kernel.html (whatever version it was, the text should be clarified to name it specifically)

This note will become less and less relevant with each release – at what point should we drop it though?
"Swap should equal 2x physical RAM for up to 2 GB of physical RAM, and
then an additional 1x physical RAM for any amount above 2 GB, but
never less than 32 MB.
So, if:
M = Amount of RAM in GB, and S = Amount of swap in GB, then

If M < 2
	S = M *2
Else
	S = M + 2"

Using this formula, a system with 2 GB of physical RAM would have 4 GB
of swap, while one with 3 GB of physical RAM would have 5 GB of swap.
Creating a large swap space partition can be especially helpful if you
plan to upgrade your RAM at a later time.
For systems with really large amounts of RAM (more than 32 GB) you can
likely get away with a smaller swap partition (around 1x, or less, of
physical RAM)."

The formula is not correct. Or is this the result of some special study?
The formula is the current recommendation in Red Hat Enterprise Linux (see http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-15252 ) and is what anaconda will create by default when installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Fedora. I don't think we should change this recommendation unless anaconda's behaviour changes as well.

I think the text makes it pretty clear that this recommendation is only indicative; it's prefaced "If you are unsure about what size swap partition to create..."

Do you think we need to draw more attention to this being a "rule of thumb"?

Cheers
Rudi