Re: F11 Alpha Release Notes one-sheet

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: F11 Alpha Release Notes one-sheet

I'd hope we're not summarizing 100+ changed packages on any beat,
right?  That would seem like overkill to me.

I hope not. However, the Amateur Radio beat, for example, has 35 changed/new packages. Some of the changes are minor, but quite a few are totally new packages, some very interesting, and a large number of the changes are very significant, at least to folks who use those packages.

I forsee over 70 changes in Devtools. Many require action on the part of the user so really need to be there. In that case, though, I think I can do a lot of breaking up into smaller groups. Actually, I kind of did that on the AR apps, too. But after I see what they all look like i will certainly do some winowing or perhaps grouping.

Last time we had big bunches of app descriptions.  That was just an error.

On changes, though, I'm a little torn. A long list of changes is pretty unexciting to read through, but if you are the person affected by that change, it could be critical. As a minimum you need a heads-up on the change and a link to the upstream's release notes, if such a thing exists. Unfortunately, it seems like in a lot of cases the upstream release notes are nonexistent or very weak, and it takes some detective work to sort out what changed. I feel bad about leaving that to the reader, but I don't want to end up with an encyclopedia, either.

So we play the balancing act.

--McD