Maintenance/Brevity vs. Explicit Instructions

The other day I noticed someone mention in #fedora-docs how much of a maintenance nightmare it is to have the same user instructions replicated over multiple places. In the process of editing the UG, I've been thinking; is there a good reason that this happens, or is it just because of the way docs get tangled up over time?

For example, the User Guide has multiple places where the user is instructed to install new software. I understand that there is some value in repeating the instructions every time this happens, but is it worth the nightmare is causes with maintenance and uniformity? Would it not be better to simply keep the canon set of instructions in one place (like User Guide - Managing Software) and consistently refer the user to these instructions?

Just curious for everyone's opinion on this. Kinda wanted to bounce it around before I change everything.

-Matthew