Re: Some thoughts on beat writing

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karsten Wade" <kwade@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on beat writing

Not sure, sounds potentially useful.  If we can do it without much
hassle, let's do it -- _into_a_special_namespace_.

Certainly willing to share, but it is kind of a PITA. What I do is grab the repo data into a MySQL database so I can collect 'N' releases. It's organized differently than the sqlite db, but no reason the sqlite couldn't be used. It's just that I can make manual changes easier with phpMyAdmin than grokking SQL. Then in a separate step I generate a WikiMedia XML import. Actually, I could see this is something that might be useful for some other audiences, but I found it helpful to watch what packages were undergoing revision, and sometimes it is interesting to dig into those changes and find out what were the issues.

Does this get more information than 'repodiff'?

Actually, less than repodiff, and that's the point. It reads a list of packages in your beat and only reports differences in those packages. It isn't all that difficult to pick up changes, the challenge is picking up changes in a handful of specific packages when there are thousands to wade through. And as we get close to release, many, many packages are changed.

--McD