Re: Fedora HW requirements

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 22:13:52 Adam Pribyl wrote:

I know this is much
about the feeling, but recommended I would consider (looking into smolt
results) something around 2GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM.

To my mind, you are confusing two entirely separate parameters.

I don't think so. If you check the specs page it is divided into to areas Text-mode and Graphical. I think this divison is perfectly OK, and I was mainly pointing at recommended stuff. The recommendation for graphical install as PII400 with 256MB it's really not something I would recommend to anybody for Fedora GUI usage. I am perfectly fine with the text-mode minimums correspondig to server usege, where we can get to something as weak as "you need i686" or higher procesor.

I think, what Karten wrote is good. The answer to his questions are however not very satisfactory as IMHO there is nobody testing the minimum for anaconda install (which is same for all the spins) or livecd install and there is nowhere said the anaconda upgrade should end up within 5 hours for system to be considered as "usable". (This is by the way the upgrade time for PIII800 512MB with 1071 rpms. Do you consider this acceptable?)

Therefore I would stick to text-mode as a minimum where you are able to install text-mode based system (more or less the anaconda requirement), graphical as recommended something where Fedora default GUI should be usable at (e.g. means OOo is able to open within 2 minutes without using the swap :).

Adam Pribyl