Re: Fedora howtos ?

Valent Turkovic wrote:
On Jan 31, 2008 7:58 PM, Eric H Christensen <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Valent,
Not sure exactly what Howto you are looking for but there are documents at http://docs.fedoraproject.org and on the Fedora Project Wiki.

Eric

I'm asking if there are answers to most common questions, I see the
FAQ but those are the most basic Q&A and I see lots of questions
poping up on mailinlists and forums that don't have answers.

Like this one:
"How can I setup samba to work (mount & unmount on bootup and
shutdown) in Fedora 8 (there are SELinux and NetworManager issues)."

Valent, I recently wrote samba paper as a section of the draft Administration Guide. You can find it here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide/Servers/SambaServer

It's paragraph 5.5. Guide is set for release with the release of Fedora 9, which should give it more visibility.

I don't use Network Manager and am not aware of the issues samba client might have with it. SElinux requirements are explained in the same paper.

I know that there are lots of knowledgeable fedora users and devels
that can answer these and similar questions but new users need to know
where to look for them. Can something be done so that somewhere these
howto Q&A are accesible easily to new users - maybe some wiki page?

There is nothing standing in a way of someone who wants to take the ownership of any new useful documentation, including FAQ. We are a bit short-handed at the moment though - would you be interested in joining the docs project, perhaps and start on this one? I'm happy to help as much as I can, more once AdminGuide work is completed.

Cheers, Vladimir

Valent.