Re: Finding man files: CVS or RPM repositories?

Karsten Wade kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 3. heinäkuu 2007
18:38:32):
> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 16:59 +0530, ria das wrote:
> > > And in any case, how to handle package updates?
> >
> > May be a small script to extract the man page from the latest RPM.
>
> Right, extracting the man pages doesn't seem to be a challenge.
>
> Ville-Pekka - is this question about:
>
> * What to do when the package is updated and we need to resync man page
> sources?
>
> * How to get changes back into the source/package?

The biggest question right now is whether to use CVS or RPM repositories, and
upstream sources or Fedora packages, as the man page source.

Here are some points on both choices:

CVS
- CVS has upstream source packages (tarballs), so we would get all man pages
exactly as they are in upstream
- OTOH, there might be reasons why some man pages (or parts of them) are taken
away from the RPM packages, disabled features, legal reasons etc.
- How to find all man pages from CVS? Do a "cvs co -c", download every source
tarball from that list and search for man pages? This is going to take a lot
of time and bandwidth...
- How to handle package updates in this scenario? CVS tags?

RPMs
- RPM packages have exactly those man pages that are in the user's
distribution
- Man pages can be modified in the .spec files at RPM build time
- Fedora's RPM repositories have a file called filelists.xml which has a list
of all files of all packages in the repository. Man pages could easily be
found by parsing that file.
- Then only those packages that have man pages could be downloaded and man
files extracted, This would probably save bandwidth and time compared to CVS.
- Updates handling is still a question, but it should be doable with the
repository metadata. As I said, yum does this all the time ;)

I hope I remembered at least most of the points I had in mind...

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio
vpivaini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx