Re: [fab] Re: splash page + tracking image example

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Josh Boyer wrote:

No, it's not. DHCP, NAT, proxies, etc. all make "unique" IP addresses a horrible metric. In some cases, you get a single IP address for a number of different machines. In others, you get two IP addresses for the same machine.

That's true, it will not be perfect by any means.

Yes, counting IP addresses will give you a metric. I just don't think that metric is good for much because you still don't know how many machines really have Fedora installed. Is it better than nothing? I don't know.

It gets you a pile of data, which can be analyzed and from which value can be extracted.

It's certainly better than having *no data*.

Bottom line -- in th FC6 timeframe, any metric gathering will be imperfect, and feel like a hack.

So we pick the hack that won't also anger people, and we do it.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack