Re: cvs - error / help + more

Hey

Ok, taking all said onboard. I have corrected problems with what you posted:

This is for anonymous access.  The process and settings are not compatible
with using your Fedora account.  Also, you should not be running as root.
This is a BAD practice. It puts your system at unnecessary risk, and sharing
the root account, even with family, is even worse.  Set up a regular user
account and use it instead. When you need to perform a system-wide function,
use 'su' or 'sudo'.  You may need to move or recreate your SSH and GPG keys
in that new account.  Some Fedora services, including the #fedora IRC
channel, already ban users who are running as root, and other services may
add that security measure in the future.

my apologies for the root access, cheers for pointing out. i am using my regular user account.

> [root@localhost adam_laura]# export
> CVSROOT=:pserver:manix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/docs

This is where your problem is.  You need to use :ext:, not :pserver:.  The
pserver method will only work for anonymous access.  The ext method must be
used with your Fedora account.

Make sure that you correct your CVSROOT and specify SSH as the transport:

export CVS_RSH=ssh
export CVSROOT=:ext:manix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/docs

Your account is otherwise set up properly, so you should then be able to start
checking out modules.

ok here is what i have got. I know i am close, just not close enough!!
[adam_laura@localhost ~]$ export CVSROOT=:ext:manix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/docs
[adam_laura@localhost ~]$ cvs -z3 login
cvs login: can only use `login' command with the 'pserver' method
cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: :ext:manix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/docs
[adam_laura@localhost ~]$ cvs login
cvs login: can only use `login' command with the 'pserver' method
cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: :ext:manix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/docs
[adam_laura@localhost ~]$ cvs co docs-common
The authenticity of host 'cvs.fedora.redhat.com (209.132.176.51)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is dd:0d:f1:d6:e2:f6:39:cf:ca:6b:03:28:8d:84:3a:d5.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'cvs.fedora.redhat.com,209.132.176.51' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
For more information on using the Fedora source code repositories,
please visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
[adam_laura@localhost ~]$

the above problem i see as being because it hasnt authenticated me. It looks like it is denying me over my ssh key or possibly gpg key. Perhaps i am not sending it. the above is my output so if i am just not specifying stuff i apologise.

and may i just end by saying thank you for all the help. I know no-one has to, but it is good. It is the one part of the Linux community that is the strongest, and is always a pleasure to be able to deal with a problem, and not feel like being a burden.

I apologise for taking up valuable time, but i assure all that when running, i learn fast and wont need to be told again.

Adam Moreland

Mr Adam L Moreland (MAniX) | Registered Linux User: #417406
BA (Hons) Media Studies, 2nd Year, UoN
****
System: Pentium 4 SKT478 2.8GHz Precott, AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ | GPG Key: AC230C32
****
pub 1024D/AC230C32 2006-05-21
Key fingerprint = 14F4 50F5 806C 25A5 B33C C2BF 982C 87B7 AC23 0C32
uid Adam Moreland (MAniX)
sub 2048g/A471FCE7 2006-05-21
****