Re: Using ulink

Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 12:09 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:

Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@xxxxxxxxx>, spake thus:

But wait!  It gets easier.  DocBook XML specifies that when the XML tag
closes itself (i.e. you don't provide any link text), the link itself is
used as the text for any rendering process.  So what you should probably
do instead, for better XML readability, is this:

<ulink url="http://some.link.to/somewhere/"/>

Could you (or someone who has time) check this using a small example
with Apache FOP?  This is so clever that it may not be implemented in
some rederers.  IIRC, the tentative PDF rendering solution was to
involve FOP.

Great idea -- I don't have FOP, but this is defined behavior in the
DocBook standards (as opposed to any cleverness on my part -- I just
read it in DocBook:TDG!), so I'll be very surprised if it doesn't
deliver as promised.

Keep in mind that this is the "recommended" behavior for the stylesheets. In reality, an implementer can do whatever she wants.

Fortunately, though, the (xsl) stylesheets are mostly developed by the same folks who work on the DocBook schema standards, so the docbook xsl stylesheets are likely compliant.

I'll yield this task to someone who has it
installed.  Is Mark Johnson out there?  I thought he used FOP, but I'm
not sure.

I'd be happy to do a FOP build if someone can suggest an FDP doc for the test build...

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx>
OS Product Documentation
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242

--

fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx