Re: research on using the GFDL

Hi

I am not sure what you mean here. Isn't document authoring using the templates the topic at hand? So new documents are not authored according to the templates?

Not always. It can save the authors some work by using pre existing templates but its not mandatory

So you are saying that the staple linux documentation entity --- LDP ---- is improperly recommending use of the GFDL for documentation authored from their guides templates?

No. I am saying that the authors guide only recommends these licenses and the LDP manifesto does not mandate them and hence authors can come up with their own custom licenses and using the templates is not required either. There is no technical reason LDP would reject any custom licenses as long as it falls under the licensing requirements specified by the manifesto which is lax

I never meant ESR authored the guides templates, simply that himself and/or others from FSF surely reviewed the derivative documentation of the guide as being in conformance.

I am not aware of this. Any further information regarding this would be appreciated. If a guide has been determined to be in conformance with any license, all subsequent revisions would have to reviewed to make sure of this. I dont think that has happened in LDP

regards
Rahul

--

fedora-docs-list@xxxxxxxxxx